So I'm going to start doing these! I think it's going to be good to give myself some kind of "Hey you haven't finished this yet" kind of motivation.
So, without further ado, here's what I've got in progress:
#1: Spinning Stars Quilt
The plan is to do an ombre effect, going from light to dark aqua/teals. I'm using two low-volume bundles I purchased from Westwood Acres on Etsy, along with some scraps that I managed to pull out of my scrap bin. I didn't have a lot of low-volume scraps, but I did have some of the aqua and grey on white swirl fabric you see above in the middle of this block - it's from the Washi Line by Rashida Coleman-Hale. I purchased a half yard bundle of that on pure whim last year and it's really come in handy for zip bags, pouches, etc. I'm sad to see the last of these fabrics go, but I'm also glad they're being used. It's so satisfying to know that I used up some fabric. It is similar to using the last little bit of toothpaste.
These blocks are cut from a template, all pretty much on the bias. If you look at how the block is constructed, you have to sew these two triangle pieces together. Since my machine's favorite late night snack is little bits of fabric, I start sewing the triangle pieces together in the middle and sew out on both sides. It takes a little longer, but if you look closely you can see that everything is really lining up quite nicely, despite all the sewing being on bias. Here you can see how well the first block went:
Pretty impressive, if I say so myself. I managed to get 3 blocks done, and the rest should come together quite quickly with most of the cutting already done. Here are the 3 blocks together:
(Not Shown, for very boring reasons) Fabric Cut:
3/4 of A pieces
24/128 of B pieces
All of the C pieces
#2: Feather Bed Quilt
All blocks completed, just languishing in a nice neat pile. I have the backing all picked out for this, and I already know how I'm going to quilt it. The assembly of this quilt is open-ended, so when I got to that step I admittedly faltered. I didn't want to just copy her pattern - I wanted to make it a little different. I also didn't like how the pattern wasn't clear on what size cuts of fabric to make to "fill in" the spots between the feathers. I don't have a design wall, so I'm going to need a dedicated day to decide how to do the layout and sew it all up.
#3: Roller Skate Dress
I have the lining cut and the fabric pre-washed. It should theoretically take me about 2 hours to finish this. In reality, it will probably take me 2 weeks. I think Claire will really like this, and since she's a little short in the shorts department (ha!), she could really use the dress to beef up her wardrobe until I either go buy shorts or ask my sister-in-law for the hand-me-downs.
#4: Dessert of the Month, Winter Sampler & Woodland Sampler (in-progress)
No progress on the winter, and April is coming along nicely. But let's not forget how I skipped over March. I really like their Spring Sampler, but I hesitate to buy it when I already have so many projects half-done.
#5: Grandmother's "zip-pouch/purse" thing (not started)
My grandmother wants me to make a "zip-pouch/purse" thing. But it needs to be smaller than the one I showed her, with a handle. *sigh* Nothing is ever easy for her. But I'll get around to it ... I basically don't want to have to make something up. So that means I'll be browsing the interwebs for some awesome tutorial that will be the correct size. Boo.
#6: 3/4" Hexagon Pillow
Obviously a long term project. I maybe have a 5"x6" portion of the 20" pillow done.
Linking to Lee at Freshly Pieced.